As the only professional orchestra of Queens, Queens Symphony Orchestra has the unique privilege and responsibility of exposing and educating students to the colorful and amazing world of orchestral and chamber music. In-class workshops are one way in which QSO reaches out to our youth.
In-class workshops are presented year round and can be custom-designed for your individual classes needs. Lesson plans for custom workshops can be related to music in general or used to teach curriculum standards such as math, science, English, and social studies. This is a cost effective way of bringing a teaching artist/QSO musician into the classroom to interact in an intimate setting.
QSO in-class workshops can be used individually, as a group, or as an enhancement of our Young People’s Concerts. Each workshop is taught by a professional QSO musician and the lesson plan is tailored to the age and musical expertise of your students in your classroom (not auditorium or cafeteria – must be classroom-size to be effective). Each workshop lasts approximately 45 minutes and there is a required minimum of 2 classes taught within 2 hours per school. Schools also have the option to order additional classes during that day (3 classes in 3 hours, 4 classes in 4 hours).
Basic workshop topics include:
- CONDUCTING - The basics of conducting, including the history of its use, the importance of a conductor, and demonstrations.
- RHYTHM - This workshop, based on your students’ grade and experience level, will include time signatures, general rhythmic notation, creating beats as a group, and demonstrations of more complicated rhythmic units.
- THEORY - This workshop will focus on the basics of music theory and how it effects the composition of all music; from classical symphonic works to the pop music we hear on the radio.
- CLASSICAL INSTRUMENTS - Using demonstrations, the classical music groups of strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion will be addressed and described.
- STRINGS - The basics of this instrument group - violin, viola, cello & bass - will be discussed; including their history, structure and place in the orchestra. Demonstrations will be included.
- WOODWINDS – This workshop will include the history and differences between the flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon using demonstrations.
- BRASS - This workshop will focus on the brass family including French horn, trumpet, trombone and tuba with demonstrations for your students to enjoy.
- PERCUSSION - Using demonstrations, the percussive instruments including tambourine, cymbals and drums will be addressed and described.
To order a custom in-class workshop for your school, please download and complete our custom workshop reservation form. Please contact our Education Coordinator, Kate Oberjat at 718.570.0909 or email@example.com for further information and to design your lesson plan.
*QSO strictly follows the NYC Department of Education Music Blueprint for Teaching and Learning in the Arts guidelines in our Arts-In-Education program.